- About Us
- Computer Science
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Physical Education
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Student Life
- Uniquely GMS
At the heart of GMS is the academic curriculum. Our curriculum embodies our mission; its design is based on specific principles of education for middle-school girls.
Project Based Learning
Group work places value on cooperation over competition and interdependence over isolation.
GMS is committed to developing our girls' core competencies in reading, writing, mathematics, sciences, computer science, social studies, arts, and physical education. Our Student Learning Goals (SLGs) are the outcomes we expect for all students, and are pursued throughout the curriculum and the GMS program. They are as follows:
Upon graduation from The Girls’ Middle School, students will be able to:
- Pursue meaningful academic study;
- Think creatively and critically in defining problems and designing solutions;
- Seek connections between ideas, approaches, and people;
- Understand the value of multiple perspectives;
- Set and attain goals for emotional, intellectual, and physical well-being;
- Communicate effectively;
- Embrace a love of learning.
Non-Traditional Academic Courses
By offering and encouraging girls in courses such as computer science, entrepreneurial studies, and engineering, GMS girls expand their vision of the arenas in which they can participate and achieve.
We believe grades can limit students' motivation to learn. Teachers do not define student achievement by a letter grade. Instead, teachers give rich narrative feedback informing students where they have met or exceeded expectations and how they can continue to improve. Teachers also provide ongoing formal and informal feedback.