- About Us
- Computer Science
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Physical Education
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Student Life
- Uniquely GMS
Overview and Philosophy
Computer Science at The Girls' Middle School introduces students to the breadth and beauty of computing and algorithms. Computer Science builds the basic logical problem-solving skills and framework required for understanding an increasingly complex and technological world. Throughout history, economic power has gone to those who create the tools, not those who use the tools. In this class, students experience the joy and power that comes from controlling the computer and using it to devise new tools for themselves. Students learn how computers process information and commands, and and then use that information to understand and design algorithms. Students are given opportunities to engage in authentic computer science problems in a creative and supportive environment. Through hands-on experiences, major projects, and a variety of learning methods, students learn to work through problems and create innovative solutions. Students are exposed to cross-disciplinary applications of Computer Science to understand how computational thinking is used in many fields.
- Students will be comfortable and confident with computer science concepts and technology.
- Students will learn to think algorithmically.
- Students will appreciate that different programs have different strengths and weaknesses.
- Students will solve problems logically and creatively