- About Us
- Computer Science
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Physical Education
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Student Life
- Uniquely GMS
Overview and Philosophy
Albert Einstein said, "The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." We believe that each child's inquisitive mind makes her a scientist. Science is a natural process of observing phenomena, wondering how the world works, and searching for answers in order to make sense of the world. Every student at The Girls’ Middle School is a scientist who learns and practices the skills that professional scientists use in their daily endeavors. Because science is a way of understanding the world around us (rather than a collection of vocabulary words and facts), the students engage in many hands-on explorations, inquiries, and projects as they explore the natural world.
The GMS science curriculum uses a thematic approach to organizing the concepts presented each year. By spiraling the three-year curriculum around five themes, the girls begin to understand the deeper connections that bind the ideas contained in the various science disciplines. The five core themes are: Structure of Matter; Energy Transfer through Systems; Changes through Time; Dynamics of Living and Non-living Systems; and the Shape of Scientific Reasoning.
- Students will view science as a means of understanding the physical world.
- Students will see science as a group of evolving theories to which they can add or contribute.
- Students will approach scientific inquiry systematically and safely.
- Students will develop skills and knowledge to excel in future science courses.
- Students will communicate clearly and accurately.