Applying to GMS
Due to COVID-19 health and safety requirements, we anticipate changes to The Girls' Middle School admission process for 2020-21 school year.
We will continue to offer engaging and meaningful ways for your family and your daughter to get to know GMS as a school and community. We look forward to getting to know you and your daughter during the admission season, either in person or virtually. We will make every admission event available broadly and with careful consideration to accommodate the needs of all families. We seek diversity through all aspects of the school and encourage all interested families to learn more about our program.
We will update this website with more information about the admission process, events, and dates on September 1, 2020. There is nothing you need to do at this point to prepare for the admission process or the application itself. Please enjoy your summer and check back with us in September.
The Girls’ Middle School uses Ravenna, an online web-based application, to manage the admission process. In Ravenna, you can track your steps during the admission process, register for school events, and submit an application. To begin, create a Ravenna account. You can create a Ravenna account and submit an inquiry at any time. Applications for the 2020-21 school year will be available in Ravenna on September 1, 2020.
The Application Process
ATTEND AN OPEN HOUSE
We do not know yet whether we will have in-person Open Houses for families. If we are not able to gather in large numbers, we will instead create smaller gatherings or offer a variety of virtual meetings to enable families to get to know our school and community. Please check back here on September 1, 2020 for more information about the admission process, testing, events, and specific dates.
SCHEDULE A CAMPUS VISIT
We do not know yet whether we will have in-person Campus Visits for prospective applicants. If we are not able to invite students to campus, we will offer virtual opportunities to experience a typical day at GMS. Please check back here on September 1, 2020 for more information about the admission process, testing, events, and specific dates.
GMS believes in making all aspects of the application and admission process equitable and fair. Due to the COVID-19 shelter in place requirements and limited availability and accessibility of standardized test sites, we will not require nor accept standardized test scores (ISEE, SSAT, etc.) for the 2020-21 application year.
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
The application for the 2020-21 school year will be available in the Ravenna system on Tuesday, September 1, 2020. The following forms in Ravenna are required to complete an application for GMS:
- Application - The application deadline is January 7, 2021.
- Parent Questionnaire - Each parent or guardian living with the applicant completes a questionnaire.
- Teacher Recommendations - Please request two teacher recommendations, one from the applicant’s current teacher and one from last year’s teacher.
- Principal or Counselor Recommendation - Please request a recommendation from your daughter’s principal or school counselor.
- Personal Recommendation - In addition to your daughter’s teachers, we appreciate a recommendation from another adult who plays a significant role in her life.
- Transcript Release and Confidentiality Form - Please print, sign, and deliver a paper copy of the Transcript Release and Confidentiality Form to the principal’s office of your daughter’s elementary school. Her school should follow the instructions printed on the Transcript Release and Confidentiality Form and send the transcript directly to Ravenna.
SCHEDULE A Family Interview
We do not know yet whether we will be able to conduct in-person Family Interviews this winter. We expect interviews to remain an important part of our process and a lovely way to get to know applicant families, and for you to get to know us.
GMS offers two types of tuition assistance: Financial Aid and The Bennett Scholars Program. All applicant families will receive further information about tuition assistance via email in January, 2021.
Financial aid forms are due on Friday, February 5, 2021. If you have questions, please contact Holly Varian Zuklie at 650-968-8338 x160.
Decision letters are mailed to applicants on March 18, 2021.
Decisions are posted in Ravenna on March 19, 2021 at 4:00 PM.
Enrollment contracts are due by March 26, 2021.