Applying to GMS
The Girls’ Middle School uses Ravenna, an online web-based application, to manage the admission process. In Ravenna, you can track your steps during the admission process, register for admission events, and submit an application. To begin, create a Ravenna account.
GMS believes in making all aspects of the application and admission process equitable and fair. Please note that we will not accept standardized test scores (ISEE, SSAT, etc.) for the 2022-23 application cycle.
The Application Process
LEARN MORE ABOUT US
We invite you to learn more about GMS by exploring this website. In addition, we offer a number of admission events to help you get to know our school and community. Our Open House, Campus Visit, and parent gatherings are great places to ask questions and learn more about what makes GMS special. Families are encouraged to participate in as many of these events as feels comfortable for you. Attendance at all events is optional. You do not need to submit an application to attend events. Please register for all events through the Ravenna system.
GMS will not accept standardized test scores (ISEE, SSAT, etc.) for the 2022-23 application year.
In order to get to know your child better, we require that applicants submit an authentic writing sample. This is an online activity administered by Test Innovators. Sessions are offered on various dates in October - January. This application requirement is shared by several Peninsula schools. Applicants applying to more than one of these schools may only complete and submit one writing sample, which will be shared across schools.
The writing exercise costs $40 and is administered by an outside organization. If this fee poses a hardship, please email us to request a fee waiver. You may register your child for one session directly through Test Innovators.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
The following forms in Ravenna are required to complete an application to GMS. The application deadline is January 5, 2023.
- Application for Admission - Complete and submit with a $75 application fee (please contact our office if this poses a financial hardship).
- Parent Questionnaire(s) - Each parent or guardian living with the applicant completes a questionnaire.
- Teacher Recommendations - Please request two teacher recommendations, one from the applicant’s current teacher and one from last year’s teacher.
- Principal or Counselor Recommendation - Please request a recommendation from your daughter’s principal or school counselor.
- Personal Recommendation - In addition to your daughter’s teachers, we appreciate a recommendation from another adult who plays a significant role in her life.
- Transcript Release and Confidentiality Form - Please delegate this form to the principal’s office at your daughter’s elementary school. Her school should follow the instructions printed on the form and send the transcript directly to Ravenna.
THE FAMILY INTERVIEW
We look forward to meeting with each applicant family. Our family interviews are conversational and take place with all parents or guardians and the applicant. We provide a comfortable setting for your family to ask questions and learn more about the school. We ask each applicant to bring something special or meaningful to share during the interview. Family interviews are held in January and February each year. Families who submit an application may schedule a family interview through the Ravenna system beginning on January 6, 2023.
GMS offers two types of tuition assistance: Financial Aid and The Bennett Scholars Program. We encourage all families to learn more about these programs and contact our office with any questions. We are committed to enrolling students from all backgrounds and we make admission decisions independent of a student’s application for financial aid.
All families are invited to attend a Financial Aid Information Session on December 8, 2022. Please register to attend through the Ravenna system.
A reminder email with instructions on how to apply for Financial Aid will be mailed to all GMS applicants on January 6, 2023. Financial aid forms are due on February 3, 2023.
If you have questions about Financial Aid, please contact Sue Kramer at 650-968-8338 x123.
To learn more about The Bennett Scholars Program, please contact María Pérez at 650-968-8338 x102.
Acceptance letters are mailed to applicants on March 16, 2023.
All decisions are posted in Ravenna on March 17, 2023 at 4:00 PM.
Enrollment contracts are due by March 24, 2023.
A GMS girl is loved and respected for who she is - today!