Working at GMS
Imagine a school where each day is alive with learning, creativity, and a spirit of adventure. The Girls’ Middle School is committed to progressive education and innovative programming, meeting the needs of a wide range of middle school girls and committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community. GMS educates girls during a pivotal time in their lives. Our multicultural curriculum encourages creativity, problem solving, and independent thought. Attention to girls’ emotional and social growth develops self-knowledge and confidence, as well as teamwork and leadership skills. GMS encourages girls to spread their wings, take risks, and be self-reliant.
There is a rich, collegial work environment at GMS. Just as we value each individual student within our community, we also value each individual teacher teaching to their passion with the autonomy and opportunity to create curriculum and learning experiences that support the common goals of each department, grade level, and the school as a whole. Our curriculum emphasizes experiential and project-based learning. Our narrative assessment process encourages students to pursue learning rather than chasing grades. Our passionate, mission-driven faculty and staff strives to create a joyful, inclusive, and respectful community of students and adults. GMS celebrates different perspectives coming together in community. We are committed to sustaining and broadening the diversity, in all dimensions, of our faculty and staff.
GMS offers competitive pay commensurate with experience, as well as a comprehensive benefit package that includes three medical plan offerings; dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; HSA and FSA programs; a 403(b) retirement plan with generous annual employer contribution; and opportunities for professional development.
What We Look for in Our Faculty
- Bachelor’s degree in subject-related field; advanced degree and teaching or field experience is a plus.
- Commitment to experiential, project-based learning, narrative assessment, and other progressive pedagogies.
- Instruction that inspires enthusiasm, confidence, and deep understanding.
- Desire to collaborate closely and effectively with teaching teams.
- Delight in teaching middle school girls!
We are seeking a full-time Director of Advancement for a 12-month position reporting to the Head of School.
The Director of Advancement is a new position at GMS. We seek a seasoned manager, proven fundraiser, and strategic thinker to build on a successful fundraising program and lead the school thorugh its first major capital campaign. The Director of Advancement will manage an office of three people and is responsible for the capital campaign, an annual campaign of approximately $750,000 per year, gifts of approximately $1.2 million per year to support our distinctive Bennett Scholars Program, events, communications, and alumnae affairs.
For a full description of duties and responsiblities, please review the full job posting.
Interested Candidates: Send a resume and letter of interest to Jennifer Ayer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are seeking a part-time Academic Mentor responsible for providing academic/tutoring and emotional support for individual students and small groups. Academic Mentors supplement and enhance the student’s classroom experiences and empower our young people with the tools to become confident, successful, and responsible citizens.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the GMS mission to “create an inclusive environment where academic growth is nourished.”
- Ensure student comprehension of math and English language arts-based concepts.
- Enforce policies and rules governing students by using consistent and effective discipline techniques.
- Work collaboratively with staff on site to ensure students’ needs are being met by the program.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings.
Qualifications and Skills
- Currently attending or have graduated from a college or university.
- Proficient in a wide range of academic disciplines, especially Math and English Language Arts.
- Collaborative with strong communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for and experience working with middle school students.
- Reliable transportation.
- Women of color, bilingual candidates, and women with high math confidence are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested Candidates: Please complete our application: https://goo.gl/forms/
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.00 to $22.00 /hour
If GMS sounds like the environment where you would like to teach but we do not have an appropriate current opening, please send a resume and letter of interest to Laura Reeve, Assistant Head of School, email@example.com. We will hold on to your information and contact you as need arises.