What is the Counselor-in-Training program?
The GMS Summer Experience Counselor in Training program is open to high-school-age alums.
A Counselor-in-Training (CIT) supports a GMS teacher or Teacher Intern in teaching student-centered, hands-on lessons that foster creative thinking, problem solving, and critical thinking. Gain experience working with rising fifth to eighth graders in an innovative and fast-paced summer camp environment. The CIT will receive support and guidance from GMS teacher mentors and Teacher Interns.
What will I be doing?
You will work with a GMS Teacher Intern or GMS teacher to set-up and prepare materials for daily lessons, facilitate team-building activities, support and supervise students and help with details of camp life. A typical camp day is 8:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Will I be compensated?
Counselor-in-Training is a volunteer position. We are happy to provide confirmation of hours to fulfill school volunteer hour requirements.
How do I apply to be a CIT?
Applications are completed online using the link below
- Before you complete the application, draft responses to the following short-answer questions to submit in the application form. You will not be able to save and revisit your application, so it is best if you have answers prepared ahead of time to paste into the application form:
- Why do you want to be a Counselor in Training at the GMS Summer Experience?
- Please describe a time when you worked with your peers or children and took on a leadership role. How do you hope to apply what you learned during that experience to summer camp?
- Once your application has been reviewed, a phone interview with a GMS Summer Experience teacher mentor is the final step of the application process.
Apply to be a CIT
Important Dates for CIT program and Teacher Interns
- Application Deadline: March 13, 2020
- STE(A)M Camp: June 15 - June 26, 2020
- Performing Arts Camp July 13 - July 24 2020
Read more about all Summer Leadership Opportunities.